There’s a common misconception that older adults can’t learn new things.
Sure, it’s true that some changes in thinking may creep up on us as we get older. We may take longer to find words and recall names. We may find it more difficult to multitask. And we may experience a slight decrease in our ability to pay attention. But none of that really prevents us from learning. And it certainly doesn’t diminish our curiosity.
In fact, we often find that we can learn new things at a deeper level of understanding because we’re able to relate them to a lifetime of accumulated knowledge and experiences.
At Tea and Toast, we help people find retirement communities where they can find new social connections and keep their brains active. We recognize that many folks see their seventies, eighties, and nineties as a perfect time to pursue new interests or rekindle old ones.
In that spirit, here are 15 of our favourite quotes about lifelong learning:
1. “Knowledge has to be improved, challenged, and increased constantly, or it vanishes.” — Peter Drucker
2. “Wisdom is not a product of schooling but of the lifelong attempt to acquire it.” — Albert Einstein
3. "The world is a university and everyone in it is a teacher. Make sure when you wake up in the morning, you go to school.” — T. D. Jakes
4. “Never stop learning, because life never stops teaching.” — Unknown
5. “All the world is my school and all humanity is my teacher.” — George Whitman
6. “Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” — Mahatma Gandhi
7. “Always walk through life as if you have something new to learn, and you will.” — Vernon Howard
8. “We learn more by looking for the answer to a question and not finding it than we do from learning the answer itself.” — Lloyd Alexander
9. “I am quite correctly described as ‘more of a sponge than an inventor….’” — Thomas Edison
10. "I am learning all the time. The tombstone will be my diploma.” — Eartha Kitt
11. “The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don’t know.” — Albert Einstein
12. “The best thing a human being can do is to help another human being know more.” — Charlie Munger
13. “The more you know, the less you need.” — Yvon Chouinard
14. “A commitment to lifelong learning is a natural expression of the practice of living consciously.” — Nathaniel Branden
15. “The path of spiritual growth is a path of lifelong learning.” — M. Scott Peck